Recipe by Peggy Chan (Founder and Chef Manager of Grassroots Pantry)
1. In a medium sized stock pot, heat up grape seed oil on medium heat. Sweat leeks, celery and silk gourd slowly, stirring it around while being cautious not to get too much colour on the vegetables. About 3 minutes.
2. Add in dried green field peas, stir again, add parsley sprig and bay leaf.
3. Top vegetables with water (alternatively you can use vegetable stock for more flavour) and allow it to simmer on low-medium heat with the lid on for 15 minutes.
4. In the meantime, sauté white onion with grape seed oil on low heat, stirring around frequently to let caramelized and brown through. About 10-15 minutes.
5. In a high speed blender, blend together caramelized white onion, soaked cashews, dates, apple cider vinegar, thyme, filtered water, salt and pepper, until creamy smooth. Reserve on side.
6. To finish the soup, add in frozen peas that's been defrosted, chopped fresh mint and season with salt and pepper. Let simmer for another 3 minutes or until the peas turn bright green. Discard bay leaf.
7. In a clean blender, blend together soup and stock until creamy smooth.
8. Return to stock pot, bring back to a boil. Serve hot with a dollop of sweet onion cashew cream.